[fsf60k] Food pantry garden/Soergel

  • From: "fcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 08:24:59 -0700

HI: Just a couple of months ago, volunteers helped build new raised beds at the
portion of the Kubecka Community Garden in Greenlawn called the Soergel
Memorial Garden. This roughly half-acre garden was started years ago with the
intention that the gardeners grow half for themselves and half to give to food
banks.

I'm writing to offer you, and anyone you know, the chance to take on one or two
of the new beds, knowing as I do of your interest in locally grown, nutritious
food and the need to make it available to people in need. Less than 10% of the
food collected by Island Harvest for distribution at Long Island food banks and
kitchens consist of fresh produce, and LICAN is engaged now in trying to help
boost that percentage.

We are hoping to receive funding soon so that we can assist houses of
worship-particularly those that operate food pantries or kitchens-to start
growing food for donation themselves, on their own grounds. This would
eliminate the problem of having to refrigerate the food. Instead, food could be
harvested on the days that the banks are open to clients.

But the Soergel Garden, which we manage under license from Huntington Town, is
ready now to produce a significant quantity of donated food, if there are
gardeners willing and able to make it happen. Part of the garden was cultivated
this past summer, and donations of produce went to the Family Service League,
St. Hugh's and St. Philip's. But we now have the potential for a lot more.

Bear in mind that a group could take on a garden bed or two-or an energetic
person.

The new beds are 4x20 raised boxes already filled with a fresh mix of compost
and soil. Irrigation is in place, and they are in full sun. There are also a
couple available that are 24 inches high, intended for people with bad backs or
similar problems.

You or those you know can apply by responding to this email or by going to our
website-LICAN.org-and filling out an application there.

It will be spring soon, so now's the time to decide. For me, there is almost
nothing-except maybe my 2-year old grandson-that gives me as much pleasure as
slowly pulling a carrot I've grown out of the ground or seeing a gorgeous
eggplant flower develop into a shiny purple globe.

Regards,
Frances Whittelsey
Executive Director, Long Island Community Agriculture Network

P.S. If you can't get your own hands into the soil, we would welcome donations
to support our food pantry/house of worship project. We are now being fiscally
sponsored by the Open Space Institute, a registered non-profit, so checks
should be made to: Open Space Institute/LICAN project, and mailed to LICAN, 49
Harbor Circle, Centerport, NY 11721