[fruityloops] Sustained samples question

  • From: "Phase Shift" <thephaseshift@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:33:44 +0200

Hi fruity people

I've just joined this list temporarily to ask you experts
a specific question - maybe somebody knows or can do a little
test for me?

It's about sustained samples. The question is under what
conditions a sample is sustained through to its end.

Clearly, a single-hit sample (ie. played once) will play out
until its end, regardless of what other tracks are playing at
the same time. Simplest case.

But what about this: I want to have a ride cymbal sample
play repeatedly WITHOUT having its tail cut off when the
next hit is reached. Say I want to have the same sample hit
4 times per bar, and to have each sample play to its end
EVEN THOUGH the next hit arrives before it's done.
-> Is this possible in FL? Or is the sample cut short as
soon as the next hit is activated?

I don't know exactly how FL works, but I think it's possible
to get the effect I need by using multiple instances of the
same sample on different tracks, each triggered at a different
bar position. Obviously, since different tracks don't
interfere with each other. Fine...but that's a waste of space.

My question is whether it's possible to get the ride-cymbal
thing going without using more than one sample track. Remember,
the sample is longer than the time between hits.

Thanks for your answers!
thephaseshift