[fruityloops] Re: FL & controller keyboards (oxygen 8)

  • From: "amit" <amit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 14:57:04 -0700 (PDT)

i think this really depends on what kind of music you
are trying to make.  most of my stuff is some form of
breakbeat (hip-hop, dnb, breaks) and i definitely have
no need for 4 octaves.

the oxygen 8 is a great lil controller.  if you are
considering a portable setup for gigs or whatever, it
is a great purchase.  there really aren't many
controllers that i know of with 8 assignable knobs in
that price range to compete with it.

"Peter Attaway" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Sorry to butt in here, but don't get an Oxygen8, get
> one with at least four
> octaves (I have a PC300 which is excellent).
>
> I would also recommend learning about music theory,
and
> in particular learn
> how to play the piano to at least a very competent
> standard (although this
> will take some time!).  I've taken the plunge this
year
> and it has really
> inspired my creativeness, and is very enjoyable to
boot!

> Peter.

keyboards

> &gt;
> &gt; Thanks Andy.  That clears a lot up for me.  I've
been
> debating on =
> &gt; getting an Oxygen8 or not.  I think I'm going to
get
> it.  I'm no =
> &gt; musician, but I would like a small keyboard to
play
> around with &amp; some =
> &gt; knobs to tweak out my filters and stuff.  Now
that I
> know FL will record =
> &gt; my sessions, I'll make that investment.  One
question
> though, is it as =
> &gt; simple as pressing the record button &amp; then
playing
> on the keyboard or =
> &gt; are there other steps as well.  I remember
seeing the
> quantitize on the =
> &gt; edit menu options.
> &gt;
> &gt; Thanks for your help,
> &gt;
> &gt; Tony
> &gt;
> &gt; -----Original Message-----
> &gt; From: AndyEbling [mailto:andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx]
> &gt; Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 1:44 PM
> &gt; To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> &gt; Subject: [fruityloops] Re: FL &amp; controller
keyboards
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt;
> &gt; &gt; If I get a controller keyboard, will FL
record the
> notes I play on the
> &gt; keyboard like Cubase &amp; other programs do?  I
know I
> can tweak the =
> &gt; filters &amp;
> &gt; such of my soft synths, but I would also like to
play
> some riffs on the
> &gt; keyboard versus trying to make things in the
piano
> roll.  Also, does FL =
> &gt; have
> &gt; a way to make the notes I play &quot;snap&quot;
to a certain
> position so they stay =
> &gt; in
> &gt; rhythm with the song?  Thanks for any help.
Sorry to
> bother anyone.
> &gt;
> &gt; Yes you can use a master keyboard with
fruityloops,
> but there are a few
> &gt; caveats.  You may notice a small delay between
> pressing a note on the
> &gt; controller keyboard and actually hearing the
note.
> This is known as =
> &gt; latency
> &gt; and it depends on your sound card, you sound card
> drivers and overall =
> &gt; system
> &gt; performance.  Creative cards (e.g. SB Live and
> audigy) are not =
> &gt; particularly
> &gt; good in this respect, but I'm currently getting
by
href="http://mail.future-soul.com//jump/http://www.kxproject.org";>http://www.kxproject.org</a>)
> which dramatically
> &gt; improve the latency.  Unfortunately, due to their
> hardware design, the
> &gt; SBLive and Audigy work at 48Khz sampling rate
> internally; every other =
> &gt; rate
> &gt; gets converted to this by the card.  That means
that
> the ultra low =
> &gt; latency
> &gt; drivers (ASIO) only work at 48khz.  Fruityloops
has
> some issues with =
> &gt; working
> &gt; at sample rates other than 44.1khz.  Many of
these
> issue have now been
> &gt; resolved, but the DX-10 plugin and some FX
plugins
> may sound different =
> &gt; if
> &gt; not used at 44.1khz.
> &gt;
> &gt; I'd recommend you get a controller keyboard that
has
> some programmable =
> &gt; knobs
> &gt; in addition to the usual notes.  You can assign
these
> to just about any
> &gt; control inside fruity (e.g. filters) and record
the
> changes in real =
> &gt; time.
> &gt;
> &gt; Yes, fruity can snap notes to a grid, this is
known
> as quantisation.  =
> &gt; You
> &gt; can either snap notes to a rigid grid, make them
move
> towards a rigid =
> &gt; grid
> &gt; (sometimes called gentle or partial
quastisation) or
> you can use groove
> &gt; quantise templates which take the feel of say a
> drummer playing live and
> &gt; apply it to the recordings you make with your
> keyboard.  This is very =
> &gt; useful
> &gt; if you use a drum loop in your tracks as you can
> create your own =
> &gt; quantise
> &gt; template and use it on all the parts in the
track,
> giving the whole =
> &gt; thing an
> &gt; consistent feel.
> &gt;
> &gt; hope that helps, if anything isn't clear, don't
be