[frgeek-michiana] xrandr

  • From: "Fr. Robert Bower" <frrobert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 17:43:39 -0400

Geek alert

These tips are for the experienced user. These ideas could hose xorg use with care. You have been warned.

xrandr is a command line utility to change screen resolution.

While I have not gone to the library to check I think it may solve some of the issues with the projectors.

I found with my eee if I try to use the hot key for changing the screen from LCD to external monitor there may be issues, things not working, or unexpected resolution changes.

Using xrandr things have worked much better.

I can set the resolution for each display and even create an extended desktop.

EXAMPLE Commands

xrandr -q queries what displays are connected and possible resolutions

xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1024x600 sets the LCD on the laptop to 1024x600

xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024x768 sets the external monitor connected to VGA port to 1024x768

xrandr --output VGA --left-of LVDS
creates an extended desktop with the external monitor to the left of the lcd screen

The extended desktop mode may require a change to your xorg.conf file. Remember xorg.conf has to edited by root. Always backup your xorg file before changing. You will need to restart xorg.conf for the changes to take effect.

Under the screen section I had to add the display subsection with the line
Virtual 2048 2048

Before

Section "Screen"
   Identifier    "Default Screen"