[frgeek-michiana] Re: [mlug] IBM PC330/350 video in browsers

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:50:09 -0500

I downloaded xfree86-fonts-scale-4.2.0-i386-1.tgz from a Slackware mirror
site. The file contains scales fonts including some Truetype fonts (ttf). I
unzipped the file and copied the font directory to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF.

VectorLinux is Slackware 8.1. Slack 8.1 uses XF86 v.4. This version is
supposed to handle ttf without an x font server (xfs or xfstt) if the font
files are included in XF86Config/Section "Files"/FontPath. This I have done.

Unless I comment out the TTF FontPath, startx fails:
. failed to set default font path (followed by FontPath list)
. Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

When I comment out Truetype FontPath declarations, startx works fine.
Either I am doing something wrong, or XF86 v4.x doesn't handle Truetype
fonts as advertised. I may have to download xfs or xfstt and run an x font
server. What'ya think?

btw, I am trying to find a Slackware list to post to. Traffic is high on
Slack related sites. The Slack main site is not responding. Also had
trouble finding a Slack mirror to download scaled font package. Has
Slackware recently issued a new release or major update?

Tom

At 05:26 PM 12/13/02 -0500, you wrote:

>Fonts in Vector Linux on a low resource box (IBM PC330/350) look bad. Apps
>like AbiWord look fine. The onboard video subsystem has 1024k dram hardwired.
>
>According to my calculations I should get 800x600x16-bit color with 1024k:
>(800x600x16)/8 = 960,000. I installed XF86 (3.3.x) servers for svga and s3
>accelerated for a stock PC350. I couldn't get either 16-bit server to work
>out of the box and fonts on the browser looked pretty bad at 8-bit. I
>tweaked the s3 server to sync at 52 hz and got a 16-bit x-server.
>
>Color is much improved, but small fonts still suck at 16-bit, 800x600 in
>Opera 6.3. I tried various preference setting in Opera. The browser fonts
>(title bar, commands, etc) look good at Helvetica, 12 point. But the fonts
>inside the browser window (site html) still suck, no change at all.
>
>Perhaps the fonts themselves are the problem. I don't see scaled,
>anti-aliased or TrueType fonts in the XF86-Config file. If anybody has an
>idea, let me know.
>
>Additional Info
>
>There are two video ram expansion sockets on the mobo situated in the back
>left hand corner, between the mobo video output connector and the S3 video
>chip. The subsystem is hardwired with 1024k. The sockets allow 2048k total
>video ram. IBM claims 16 to 64k colors at 800x600 (60-75 hz) with the
>standard 1024k so there is no compelling reason for 2048 unless you want
>1024x800 res.
>

>http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1GSMH-3FGJD9
>
>http://www2.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?xh=Q0pl37pCcKYiOH2USenGnN9332req
>uest=salesmanualparms=H%5F6576%2D%2B01xhi=salesmanual%5Exfr=N
>
>Tom
>tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>To post to the list send email to <mlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list
website at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/mlug>

Tom
tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>