[frgeek-michiana] kernel 2.6.15-1 + udev???

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 01:13:08 -0400

Argh, not even Debian is to blame on this one..... <grin>

The community for whatever reason decided to get rid of hotplug and replace it with udev. While I have not taken the time to read or understand this I do know two things: 1) udev is half baked. They should have waited til it worked like hotplug did R-E-L-I-A-B-L-Y... and 2) Why? Hotplug works!

Ok, from reading the Debian list and reading while trying to debug the latest caper in the Goose lab I understand all the changes are happening to unify things to make future products / standards / and cool toys, etc easier to incorporate into Linux.

Ok, my latest delima... It's a crap shoot as to will the e100 driver load as eth0 and the 3c59x as eth1 or the reverse. In the testing I have done in the 5 hours, no clear result has come about. The V-E-R-Y problem with udev!

Ok, I got tired of this baloney and wrote a mod for the /etc/init.d/networking script in Debian. Modify was needed for your systems.

<modified script>
#!/bin/bash

<<<Note: I changed the script to use bash instead of sh>>>

#!/bin/sh -e
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          networking
# Required-Start:    mountvirtfs ifupdown $local_fs
# Default-Start:     S
# Default-Stop:      0 6
### END INIT INFO

<<<Note: Here starts the mods >>>

#
# First, fix *** udev ******** and get the damn network right
#

<<<Note: edited for content >>>

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth1 down
rmmod e100
rmmod 3c59x
modprobe e100
ifconfig eth0 up
modprobe 3c59x
ifconfig eth1 up

#
# End fix
#
<end mods>

In my case, my e100 (onboard Intel nic) is attached to the cable modem so it HAS to be first! Then the 3c59x is my internal network.

I DID try /etc/modprobe.d/aliases and /etc/modutils/aliases and NEITHER had an effect cause udev rubs so far up front in the boot sequence.

from the FWIW dept. At least I now know I can rely on the server to boot the network in the correct configuration now! It's sucks being at work and losing your home network for the entire day due to this issue!

No, I'm not a happy camper tonight - but learned a lot though!

Goose

P.S. Now to deal with the severe storms moving in....

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>