[frgeek-michiana] Why not to use RAID-5

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:36:49 -0400

I'm reading these from the Michigan Open Source Group list... The links at the bottom have proved a good read.

Goose

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: RE: [Technical] File sharing saturates uplink bandwidth Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:10:58 -0400 From: adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Reply-To: technical@xxxxxxxx To: technical@xxxxxxxx References: <NEBBKGGHGLLDNCHHAMHPMEKGJKAA.rvk@xxxxxxxxx>

Wow, that was an excellent read on the Postgres optimization!!!
I'm glad you shared that before I had the RAID array configured. It sounds like my database performance would be much better if I setup the three disks in the RAID array as a RAID 1 with a hot spare, rather than a RAID 5, and put my transact journal on the SCSI boot disk, along with all the other optimizations you detailed.

Yep; I'd avoid RAID 5 for lots of other reasons as well.

See BAARF - "Battle Against Any Raid F*"
http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt
http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/1.Millsap2000.01.03-RAID5.pdf
http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/Juan_Loaiza_on_raid_V.html
http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/Patterson88.pdf

If Oracle says "NO!" to RAID 5 - http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_raid5_bad.htm - then you should too.

** This list is PUBLICLY archived. ** PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain.