[frgeek-michiana] Warehouse report - 9/29/2011

  • From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:37:32 -0400

Present: Dan, Phil, Kelsey, Paul (new volunteer), Tom.

Dan and I tested monitors and placed the good units in the steel shelving.
We emptied one gaylord and started on a second.

Phil got the Ubuntu repos server running and tested it on his notebook and
Kelsey's laptop. The tests were successful. Any volunteer can now update
their Ubuntu 10.04 LTS install at the workshop.

Paul followed me around, asked questions and took a look at our inventory.
Paul is volunteering to help a friend who needs a new computer to host a web
site from his home. There are two more prospects who have been referred by
Work One and Bridges Out of Poverty, but haven't shown up yet.

Does anyone know where the screws for installing servers in the rack?

Next week:

-          Test and shelve monitors.

-          Install the repos server in the rack if we find the box of
screws.

-          Connect the rack switch to the LAN/WAN and run LAN cables to the
work tables.

-          Move the FREE GEEK Michiana sign from the overhead door to a
point more visible from the entrance.

Looking farther ahead:

-          Put rack power on its own circuit so we can power down everything
else at one time.

-          Copy data from the old server to external media.

-          Install an Ubuntu CLI only server with LTSP enabled and one or
more thin clients.

-          Copy the old server data to the new server.

-          Tidy and clean the workshop.

-          Recycle all materials in the workshop and cold storage areas.

Tom --