[frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report, Tuesday 01-19-2010

  • From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 06:40:05 -0500

Does someone need to donate a Pringles can? :)

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:48:52 -0500
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report, Tuesday 01-19-2010
From: kevin.yendes@xxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can't you get a booster for the WAP? I have used them at several locations with
WAPs on the system. I would go with WPA2 for security. One  of the guys at
Tuesday night's Cyber Defense meeting was showing everyone how to crack WEP
security, it's not that hard.

Kevin

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not comfortable discussing this question in an open forum. Sorry, I'm
security anal and I'm sure the host appreciates it too. If they wish to
elaborate, that is their call, not mine.

Short and only answer, 2 problems: WEP and signal strength.

Richard

On 01/20/2010 5:33 PM, Tony Germano wrote:
What exactly is the problem with the internet at the warehouse? I've seen it
mentioned several times that we need to get it working :)

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:13:46 -0500
From: csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ah, good point. It'll be best to get a local repository setup that I'll have to
rsync locally. (via sneakernet)

First though, need to get the Internet working...

Richard

On 1/20/2010 3:09 PM, Tom Brown wrote:

Don’t forget to update the VL 5.9 STD systems before final quality testing.
We’ll need Internet for this unless we set up a mirror at the warehouse and
keep the mirror updated with CDs or DVDs. It is no good to distribute unpatched
systems.

Tom

From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Warehouse Report, Tuesday 01-19-2010
To: "Free Geek Michiana" <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 10:39 AM

Present: Goose, Dan, Phil, Kelsey (Hopefully spelled right)

1) Mice... (Edited tee hee hee) Kelsey took mice balls from the serial mice and
fixed PS/2 mice. We recovered approx. 15 of them that way. Thanks Kelsey!

2) VL 5.9 light AND STD???? What the????
   We have had two systems sitting side by side. One had VL 5.9 Light, the
other VL 5.9 STD.

   I said, "This is just wrong man!"

   A command decision with all present was made. Were sending VL 5.9 STD out
the door. It was a magnitude of order BETTER LOOKING then 5.9 light. I can just
see the problems now in a future Freebox class, "Why doesn't my system look
like that". Since were still working out the wicd issue on 6.0, VL 5.9 STD is
the distro were using.

   That created a cd issue. We only had one VL 5.9 STD cd. (Phil came later w/
a 2nd one) I discovered the hard way the new server didn't already have cd
burning software on it. I eventually got xfburner downloaded and installed. We
still need to burn more cd's but we have the .iso image on the server and the
first cd was burned last night. (Needs to be tested though)

3) We cleared another gaylord last night and got the next batch of computers
into the work area. We need to find an attachment for the shop vac. Everyone
agreed we have one someplace, just need to find it.

4) Chuq created an ebay gayload. It will see much use.

5) We have FOUR complete computers with VL 5.9 STD loaded on them. They need:
   1. Cleaning up
   2. VL Quality testing
   3. Physical quality testing (make sure enough ram mainly)

6) Internet: YES, we had Internet. That was the good news, bad news is we can't
use that access point. So were still working to resolve the Internet issues.

7) For those wishing to take their frustrations out on computers <g> we have
much demanufacturing to do.
   1. If it keeps piling up, it will be loaded and sent to ADEC for their use.
   2. I need to talk to ADEC directly so were on the same page.

8) Dan helped load systems along with Phil

9) Phil was organizing the shelving and labeling shelves <g>Yeah, go Phil!
   1. 24x cd-rom drives are headed for the yard sale, ebay. There are plenty of
32x drives and up.

10) Worked on a little of all of the above, plus taking out some trash.

A really good productive night. Many thanks to all for a good effort.

Goose

-- Richard "Goose" Zimmerman, ke4rit
Mishawaka, IN

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390707/direct/01/