[frgeek-michiana] Warehouse Report - 2/5/2008

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:09:38 -0500

:: Food Bank Project

Mike has made good progress on the FBNI kiosk. He has explored three different approaches to configuring a kiosk and is actually ahead of the spec at this point.

Forest pulled one of the FBNI boxes with no hard drive, and Mike took it home. He plans to have a demo box ready next Tuesday or Thursday -- he's shooting for Tuesday.

Forest will take the demo box and a monitor to FBNI and put the box on their LAN. Mike will have it set to obtain an IP automatically via DHCP. FBNI will use the system and give us feedback.

:: Inventory Reorganization

Forest, Mike and I sorted throught a half dozen gaylords and consolidated as much as we could in a few hours.

We have a gaylord of Pentium-1 class boxes to use for the FBNI project and LTSP projects. There is a small gaylord of P3/P4 boxes. All P2 boxes were taken into the office for final inspection as if they were FreeBoxes -- they aren't but we might as well configure and test them thoroughly.

I plan to reorganize inventory again Thursday night. Next week, we probably won't be able to get a fork lift to our racks.

:: FreeBoxes

Kevin and Dale worked on testing and repairing FreeBoxes.

:: Ebay

Kevin put our best scanner on Ebay, and several people are "watching" the auction. Other, similar scanners sold for $350 recently. We don't expect to get that much for ours. Although it is the same basic model, it lacks features and software which would increase its auction value.

:: Donations Coming

A corporate retired assets donation should arrive Thursday night and possibly a few individual donations. We will have to put them in our one empty gaylord ASAP so the material doesn't pile up on the floor.

:: St. Adalberts Parish

St. Adalberts has a program to refurb computers for low income families in their parish. We consulted with the Notre Dame students who set up the program. Friday, I am meeting with the pastor and the staff member in charge of the project to find out whether FGM might take a more active role in the program.

:: Parking Reminder

The legal parking area at the warehouse is only 30' north from the wall so keep all our cars close to the wall. Any cars parked outside the limit may be towed. When RBHS starts constructing hazardous waste hoses again, parking will be at a premium. I was told pallets and other obstructions will be moved so FGM volunteers will have parking along the wall.

####