[frgeek-michiana] Warehouse Report - 11/8/2007

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 10:01:36 -0500

:: Bathroom Clean Up

Goose has the bathrooms cleared out enough to get to and use the sinks, urinal and toilets. We are hoping the toilets will be functional within a week.

:: Office Clean Up

As we build FreeBoxes for Perley School, we stack them against a wall in the main room or in the shelves in the server room. At some point, we will run out of space. I will contact the PTA coordinator at Perley and ask her to store finished FreeBoxes, monitors, keyboards and mice at the school. Hopefully, they have the space and are willing.

:: Rack Space

The new rack space is wonderful. otoh, every rack space is used. There is no space to hold deman parts so we cannot deman.

Forest is going to check our monitor recycling resources to see how quickly we can unload bad monitors to free up rack space and how much it will cost. Although we can earn revenue by demanning monitors for metal and circuit boards, we don't have space for the disassembled parts. If we ship bad monitors, we won't gain much space -- there are only 3 or 4 gaylords of bad monitors.

We cannot stack anything on the floors for more than a few minutes for the next few weeks, possibly the next few months. Consequently, we can't accept new donations until we create rack space for the donation. Better organizing and labeling the contents of gaylords will help. Our map of our rack space will need constant updating.

:: Servers

SSH into the server room is working. I opened a second ssh port on the warehouse router and forwarded the port to our gateway box in the server room. Goose configured and tested the gateway. We can now maintain the warehouse servers remotely.

The servers held up during the week. The LTSP server and the accounting server/gateway were both still on and functioning after one week of the new configuration. I don't recall whether Goose shut the servers down to see if they boot handle gracefully.

John Gnubie offered to host the FGM web site. Goose offered to let us use his dual Xeon Dell Poweredge 2500 to colo. Of the two offers, John Gnubie's is the one we can count on right now. I'll follow up with the local data center about the colo next week. Gnubie works for a professional hosting service in New Zealand -- yes, that New Zealand.

:: Ebay Auctions

Kevin will manage small Ebay auctions for us. Kevin is a long time Ebay seller and has a good reputation. FGM will pay a commission on sales for his effort.

Our first goal is to auction the excess server boxes we have accumulated. The auctions will be 7 days. Kevin will photograph one server each week. I will help him describe the server and provide a link to detailed specs to place on the auction page. We will deban drives, load a suitable OS and test prior to auction because tested gear fetches better prices. At the end of each auction, we will either ship a server or deman it.

Kevin advised us not to open a store. Ebay charges premiums for stores. Unless there is sufficient volume and profit margin, stores are not worth the additional expense and work.

####