[frgeek-michiana] VL server shutdown issue

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:55:50 -0500

I got two promising responses from the VL Forums: kiosk mode and sudoers (see below).

There is no kiosk mode in VL 5.8 Standard. So this solution requires me to read the docs, create and configure a system kiosk.rc, then test. Too much work for Mr. Lazy Geek.

With a few presses of the keyboard in vi - visudo actually - I removed SHUTDOWN from the %users config line in /etc/sudoers. Ah ha! It works. I tried Quit/Shutdown. Victor, my Vector Linux PC, asked for a password. I typed my user password. Victor said, "No shutdown for you, peon." The next attempt showed restart and shutdown buttons grayed out. Problem solved.

Now if I can just get Victor to adjust his attitude. He's Cuban. Comes from an old Spanish land grant family. His father was an admiral in the Cuban Navy before the revolution. Hates Castro.

Tom

P.S. Help from VL Technical General Forum.

1. Kiosk mode

Read this:
http://wiki.xfce.org/kiosk_mode

You need to add a /etc/xdg/xfce4/kiosk/kioskrc file with the relevant bits you want only certain users to do.

2. Sudoers

You can also disable them from /etc/sudoers. Find this line

%users
ALL=NOPASSWD:SHUTDOWN,DIAL,SERVER,HW1,MOUNT1,SGMAP,PDMOUNT,SMBMOUNT,WIFI

and remove the SHUTDOWN and everything else you don't want them to do.

####