[frgeek-michiana] Re: VL modems and drivers

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 18:12:00 -0500

The VL home page says 5.8 Standard Final uses Linux kernel 2.6.18.5 which is confirmed by /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.5 on my VL box. VL 5.8 is based on Slackware 11.0.0 according to /etc/slackware-version.

Mike Cook wrote:
I don't have anything working yet. I have un-squashed the squashfs zdrive.sfs from Puppy 3.01 which contains all of the modem drivers and software I also extracted /etc/init.d from puppy just to see how everything goes together. One nice thing to report, Puppy 3.01 is able to mount and unmount squashfs files from the file browser no command line needed, this makes it quite convenient for browsing the Puppy FS. I'm currently looking for any other files used in the initial hardware detection. Hopefully by sometime next week I'll have something that I can try on VL. One question I have, which version of VL should I concentrate on? I should probably use a Puppy version with the same kernel version. Puppy 3.01 uses the 2.6.21.7 kernel making it compatible with Slack 12. Puppy 3.01retro uses the 2.6.18.1 kernel.
Mike