[frgeek-michiana] Re: SMP on Turbine (fwd)

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:27:03 -0500

I do not remember what state my "development" machine is in so I'm going to blow it out and reset it up once again. Heck, I could use the experience setting up aolserver / tcl/tk / postgresql anyhow.

Can you advise current versions to use or have we switched products?

I'm still studying OpenACS, but I've stopped development with it. OpenACS has not been easy for any of us to install or use -- that says a lot. There may be a point at which there is a compelling case for OACS. Right now I believe we will benefit more by keeping it simple and moving forward.

The FGM web site uses aolserver, tcl and postgresql -- the building blocks of OACS but not OACS itself. It works fine. MichianaGeeks uses apache, rivet (tcl) and postgresql, and it works fine too. What we learn of tcl and postgresql (SQL) will apply to both web server platforms. Maybe, after working with one platform tool set for awhile, we can begin to take advantage of OACS.

Go ahead and install apache, rivet/tcl and postgresql. You will probably need to compile all the packages, rather than install .debs, to properly configure and integrate the tools.

http://tcl.apache.org/rivet/