[frgeek-michiana] Problems at FreeBox class

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:01:51 -0500

A few things were not right Saturday. The difficulties were increased by the age of the clients. The students ranged in age from 56-72.

The class starts at 1:00. I'm usually out of the church by 5:00. Last Saturday the final student tested out at 7:00 PM. One student gave up and went home without a computer. She was the oldest student, and her computer had the most severe problems.

There were setup problems with two of the FreeBoxes which caused a great deal of frustration for two of the students and slowed down the class. The student who gave up had the worst system, and the one who was there until 7:00 had the other computer.

The other major problem was using a file manager. Some folks, particularly older students, exhibit difficulty understanding Midnight Commander. I'm thinking of using Xfe instead. Xfe is more graphical. However Xfe won't launch from the desktop icon on some or all of the FreeBoxes. I explored the problem but couldn't fix it. We'll deal with it a lab.

We need to get the demanufactuing workstations operable next Tues. All the students want to volunteer ASAP with FGM because they want to earn credits to take classes in the lab and to bid on modems, printers and better monitors and more powerful computers. Some want more software on their systems.

Some of the students (retirees) volunteer at Coop 65, a food pantry on Miami Street. They said the basement may be available for storing computer equipment. One of the students volunteers at Catholic Charities.