[frgeek-michiana] Mesh networking

  • From: "Chuq Jackels" <chuq00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 04:43:51 -0500

Hey Tom,
I was just doing some late night research on the whole open-source mesh
networking thing and I came across some pretty good information. I figure it
will take some trials to see if these are capable of doing what it is that
we were discussing on Tuesday night. I am going to add the links here for
you to look at. I found hardware (o.s.) software (gnu gpl). I priced the
hardware out at 30 units (routers POE and outdoor enclosures) cost per unit
shipped is 53.50 when purchasing 30 units you get a discount!
But here are the links:

Another software http://orangemesh.sourceforge.net/node/2
ROBIN - Open Source Mesh Network Project http://www.blogin.it/
Open mesh (hardware) https://www.open-mesh.com/store/
Free Radius server http://freeradius.org/download.html

I am still researching antenna solutions though. It seems to be that
omnidirectional is the way to go. If we can produce them and have about
15dbi I think that would be the best.

Ok well I am going to try to catch a little shut eye before the kids wake
up... Ohhh BTW does anyone live or travel near the Harris branch library??
If so it would be great if someone could pick up this book
http://stjos.sjcpl.lib.in.us/search/a?searchtype=t&searcharg=The+ARRL+Antenn
a+Book&SORT=D&submit3.x=37&submit3.y=14&submit3=Search
 It is supposed to be the best guide out there for making your own
antenna's!

Alrighty I will see you guys tonight!

Chuq