[frgeek-michiana] Re: Laptops + pcmcia-cs

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:47:21 -0400

Actually wasn't hard once I found the document I was looking for.

On Debian systems, even though they have pre-complied binaries for ndiswrapper, changes are you have to roll-your-own for the specific kernel your working with. Since I need the 2.6.15-1 kernel for other things (unfortunately 2.4 aint getting it) It's the roll-your-own option.

I think I differenced the debian <> ndiswrapper url in my other email. Once I did that, everything fell into place and is working fine again. Installing wpa encryption went quickly too thanks to another document. (That link is on the home pc)

The pcmcia cards are recognized just fine now, starting /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant start and wham o! I'm connected at home using wpa-psk encryption! So now I'm back to where I started... Where to insert the above init script so the card comes online automatically and auto stops when I remove the card?

Although I'm not happy it died over the weekend, overall it's really a better solution as now all the testing / messing with / with the various programs trying to get wpa-psk encryption working are now all gone off the system.

Now if I could just figure out WHY hibernation isn't working... <sigh> BTW, on that subject... Hibernation rulz! Wow, (before the laptop broke) I tried hibernation a few times, that was S-W-E-E-T! Hibernate saves the system into the hibernation partition, you reboot next time, it loads the kernel, restore the hibernation swap file and bam! Your on... Pretty slick stuff and WAY FASTER boot times....

Goose

Andrew Strasser wrote:
Poor Goose sounds like a greuling weekend and can imagine you didn't want to get cooked. Hopefully, you'll be able to find the answer you need and it will all fall nicely together.
Andrew
P.S. When you feel like throwing it. Make sure it's a desktop they handle the fall better. :)

** This list is PUBLICLY archived. ** PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>