[frgeek-michiana] LabNotes - 11/1/2005

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 07:50:10 -0500

:: Laban's Mother Died

Laban missed lab Tuesday night. He received word, perhaps over the weekend, that his mother died in Africa. Laban isn't able to go home for the funeral. Please keep Laban and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

:: Lab Report

The lab report is too long to put in an email. I can't remember whether FreeLists allows attachments so I will convert the report into a web page and publish it on our web site, which is off the DynDNS "abuse" list and up again. I'll announce the URL as soon as the page is done.

:: Board Meeting

I sent an email to Jodi Wednesday re reserving a room in the church some Saturday late afternoon this month.

:: Albert's XP Box

Albert's XP box slowed down gradually and finally died. He had dutifully upgraded XP according to Microsoft's wishes. Now his XP SP1 CD won't repair Windows because the installed OS is now SP2 and beyond. Thank you, Microsoft.

I am going to loan Albert an SP2 CD to attempt the repair. If the repair fails, I advised him to buy a new HD, install the OS from his original SP1 CD, get back on line, update the OS, then copy data from the old drive to the new drive. I figure it is quicker and safer to do this than try to resurrect the old hard drive, particularly if it has serious malware on it.

If anyone has better advice, please let Albert know. He can be reached at <mwanaa at yahoo daht com>. Albert's Comcast email address is useless at the moment, and he can't receive email from the listserv.

btw, the company Albert works for was sold for 73 million USD to an investment company, a good payday for the owner. But possibly bad news for some or all of the employees. Time will tell.

:: New Volunteer Group

The fact that Albert has been off line recently means he hasn't received my forwards re potential new volunteers who have contacted me or the church since the article appeared in the South Bend Tribune. I resent all of them to his Yahoo address.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>