[frgeek-michiana] Re: Lab notes web page

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:16:13 -0500

Tom Brown wrote:

Here is the url for the full lab report from last Tuesday. We looked closely at issues that we need to resolve quickly in order to create a shopping list and begin purchasing equipment and materials for the new computer lab.

http://www.freegeekmichiana.org/LabNotes20051101.html
Tom

Workstations:

I'm definitely *IN* on this project. I don't have my daughter this weekend so I should be able to square away the trailer and be ready to roll next Tuesday.

Network cabling:

If you need cable I'll donate it. I've got almost a full new box of cable / connectors that I have never used. I've also got a simple cable tester. As for tying up the cables.. Hook and ties would work fine for the distances were running. Yup on the mounting the hub on a shelf off the floor.

Security:

"Albert gave a spontaneous and convincing demonstration"... Heh, heh, heh.. I love live demonstrations.... Seriously though, YES, look into adding a motion detector to the lab / server room. As for physical security, if they are going to break in, they are going to break in, period. At least with the motion sensor, an alarm goes off and draws attention. We could add the evil factor and add a second siren to the lab itself to make the perp deaf in the process....

As for the tables, Funny Albert demonstrated what I was thinking as I was reading this. Yes, we need to devise a way to secure the tables to the floor to prevent the very result of the demonstration.

Which OSes?:

I still say Debian... I'll always say Debian... It works.. Even with LTSP. The admin issues are almost non-existent... The thing runs and for the most part can keep itself up to date with almost no oversight. To elaborate on the latter, once a week I login and manually run and apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade to make sure there are no packages left hanging out there that require human input for the upgrade process. (This is usually pretty serious stuff like changing ssh, pam or other heavy security configs, etc).

On the issue of dual-booting.... Tom's has presented what would be the most practical answer to the problem. A drive for the OSes and a 'Data' drive that all can access. Just a reminder that Linux still doesn't fully support the NTFS partition type. It's good, not perfect. Suggestion: Setup the 'Data' drive / partition as FAT32 instead. I would suggest a separate 'Data' server and access it via Samba shares however, there have been issues with Samba and XP in my office that had to be worked through.

LTSP Server:

   Rulz.... :)

It's been quite some time since I played with the LTSP setup on the Goose lab ( soon to be fixed) but as I recall it wasn't hard at all to emulate the FB desktop on Debian...

Richard

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
Safety Assistant / IT Guru

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>