[frgeek-michiana] Re: Lab Notes May 15, 2003

  • From: John Billings <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:38:17 -0500

> Mike popped the lid on the cute little iOpener to discover that it had been
> hacked. But not damaged. The SanDisk had been wiped so the iOpener couldn't
> boot. But it tried. All were impressed. This could be key to our portable
> ltsp lab project. Mike took the iOpener home to experiment.

Jake donated those iOpeners so I am not surprised they have been previously
hacked.

> :: pppd Problem
>
> pppd on Boris is causing a problem. If the external modem is absent or
> turned off, RH 7.3  hangs in the networking section of the boot sequence.
> Goose worked on it but couldn't find a quick compromise position on when
> and where to start pppd. The normal RH rc.d init script for pppd is missing
> for some reason. So we'll have to write (copy) a new script which allows RH
> to fail the pppd init and move on if the modem doesn't respond.

Does it hang on NFS services? Have always had that same problem at MLK.

> :: LPI Certification
>
> http://www.lpi.org/

IBM has tutorials and practice tests you can take, just took the practice test
last week, I didn't have much time to concentrate on it, but it's still as
hard as I remember the first time I failed it.

tutorials:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/
test:
https://certify.torolab.ibm.com/ice/displayPage/en