[frgeek-michiana] Re: Lab Notes, 7/11/2006

  • From: "Andrew Strasser" <zarabtul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 01:13:04 -0400

Got a PC100 64 SDRAM if it could be used don't have a laptop myself though
would gladly donate it to make one work.

Andrew

On 7/13/06, Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

:: Minor Work on Lab

Goose used Andrew's drill bits to punch a hole in the server closet
and has the network cables in the closet. Mike arrived later than
usual after a dinner date with his wife and didn't feel up to
demanding manual labor. Goose may have updated Debian on the server.

:: What We Really Did

Albert and I drove to the warehouse and gathered a half dozen old
Compaq laptops donated by a local bank. We took them to the lab where
Mike and Albert tried to get DSL and Knoppix to boot on them. The
test laptops had only 16 MB and 32 MB of RAM. So Knoppix was out of
the question. DSL was also too much for the laptops. Unless we can
find RAM to beef up these puppies, they are not too useful as
standalone PCs. The cpus were weak, 133 MHz, and the displays were
smallish. On the upside, they came with docking stations, and the
batteries work.

But wait...there is more. The laptops function adequately as
workstations for a portable LTSP network, great for demos! All they
need is a cheap PCMCIA nic, some CAT5 cables, a hub and server. Once
the lab is up and running, once the deman/recycle operation is
booming again, we can make a portable demo lab. Goose told us about
his good experience with Dynex PCMCIA nics, a fairly inexpensive card.

John has to do some critical scripting for his employer's MRP system
and is in the midst of deciding whether to commit to MS or FOSS
tools. We had a long discussion about scripting in TCL.

PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it
to be in the public domain.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list
website at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>