[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 5/10/05

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:15:36 -0500

:: Postpone FreeBox Class

Well, we didn't get a total of 8 FBs built and tested Tuesday night. So the FreeBox class will be postponed another week.

:: Sound Card Configs

Jay and John are best at configuring sound cards. Last night John was able to produce sound on every computer he setup. John agreed to write a procedure for configuring sound with VL 4.3 and send it to the listserv.

:: Testing Checklist

Because we are setting a higher standard for FB2 boxes, we need a more extensive testing checklist.

- mouse, keyboard, monitor and cpu work
- all components are clean and named
- VL 4.3 boots
- root and guest logins and passwords set
- xwindows configured: vesa, 800x600, 16-bit color
- XFCE4 works
- sound works
- guest can mount floppy, cdrom or dvd media
- guest can read floppy, cdrom or dvd media
- guest can copy files from /home/guest to /mnt/floppy
- if cdr is present, guest can burn media
- as guest, modem will dialup Michiana FreeNet
- browsers will surf web
- email client will send and receive messages
- cups is configured and lpt port works with standard HP test printer
- if present, network interface card will connect to lab LAN and receive IP address via DHCP

:: New Volunteers

While we are focused on tweaking our FB installation and configuration methods, new volunteers will find it difficult to contribute. There is little for them to do but sit with a more experienced volunteer, watch and ask questions.

When the warehouse is ready for occupancy, we will train newbies to disassemble computers and set them loose on the backlog there.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>