[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 3/9/04

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:38:34 -0500

Lab Notes, 3/9/04

Present: Carl Madzelan, Njoki, Mike Cook, Tom Brown; 6:00 - 10:00 PM

:: New Volunteers

Carl works at Notre Dame Office of Information Technology (OIT). His consuming tech interest is network security. Njoki works at Federal Mogul at the Help Desk and wants to learn Linux. Neither Carl nor Njoki can attend every lab, but we'll see them often.

I gave Carl the 5 cent tour of the lab and the Upper Room. Njoki will get the tour next visit. Tom and Carl gave Njoki a walk through the GNU/Linux filesystem and scanned a couple of /etc config files. Njoki's background is 100% Microsoft. Our daemons are her services, etc.

:: Workbench Design

Olin attended a professional meeting and missed the lab. So we were unable to finalize the workbench design. We'll try again next week.

:: NetVista Trials

Mike demonstrated the converted NetVista 2800 to Njoki and Carl. They loved it. As he connected the NV to the network, Mike explained the background of the NVs and how FGM plans to use them.

:: NetVista Howto

After Mike answered Njoki's and Carl's questions, he and I replicated converting two randomly selected NVs to ethernet and LTSP thin clients. I typed the procedure as Mike explained what he was doing. Mike gave Njoki a CLI lesson during the frequent pauses while I typed -- Mike can talk and convert a NV much faster than I can type. btw, Mike is a good teacher.

The only hitch we ran into was not waiting for memory to clear after resetting the bios to factory defaults, including wiping the bios password. To save time we didn't rewrite the compact flash.

Mike discovered that there are fewer bios changes than we earlier thought necessary. In fact some of the previous settings slowed the bootup. The NVs now boot in about the same time as the regular PCs in the lab and perhaps a little faster. Mike has more changes to the howto. He didn't bring hard copy to the lab so we'll merge his additions and edits into the howto during the week or at lab next week.

If you'd like to read the updated howto, check the following url.

http://www.michianageeks.net/2004/netvista.xhtml