[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes 2007-05-09

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:58:16 -0400

:: Built-In HDD Security Erase

Mike produced a bootable floppy disk utility which ultimately failed to wipe one of the 20 GB drives we set aside for testing. Mike, Dale and Herbert went to the bother of installing Puppy Linux on the drive to provide something to erase.

Mike surmises the BIOS in the machine turns off the security wipe utility to protect hapless users from destroying partitions, apps and data. He will look for another computer with a more test friendly (less secure?) BIOS.

Apparently, if this built-in wipe program is interrupted in progress, the utility locks the drive. Only starting the wipe over again and finishing will unlock the drive.

Also, it seems wipes take 2 hours no matter the size of the drive.

:: Udev on VL 5.8 / LTSP Server Test Bed

Udev can't seem to find the server's NICs without switching the name assignment (eth0, eth1) every time the machine is booted. Goose and I researched presetting NIC assignments in udev on Slackware.

The solution is straightforward and elegant. Udev automatically parses config files in /etc/udev/rules.d/. Goose added a custom config file there and rebooted the server a few times to make sure all went well. And it did. Problem solved.

I don't recall the name of the file Goose created, something like /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules. But, the contents are very much like this example.

KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:30:1b:b6:11:cf", NAME="eth0"
KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="01:46:2f:d5:12:c3", NAME="eth1"

:: VL Master Install

Dale and Herbert installed VL 5.8 Standard (final) on an IDE/ATAPI drive for me to take to Jay to clone. Mike supervised and ensured no network was configured so we have a clean slate for external modems configs. The default X config is Vesa driver, 800x600 pixels and16 bit color.

We can readily tweak this minimum configuration to match hardware in any FreeBox.

:: CRT Recycling

We discussed CRT recycling and the news that CRTs are not considered hazardous materials for purposes of transport in Indiana. John constructed a spreadsheet model to refine our profit/loss projections for CRT recycling. Goose will provide real life figures for trailer rental and trucker fees as soon as he can.

:: Living with VL 5.8

I vowed to use VL 5.8 for the next 30 days in all my computing which doesn't require Microsoft indentured slave ware. Dale and Mike have plenty of Puppy time under their belts so there is no gain in leashing myself to the Pup.

I chose an IBM Netvista desktop which was sitting on the floor in my home office: P3/800, 256 MB, 20 GB, nic, sound, usb. This is a relatively high end FreeBox so I'm not going to suffer much. These lab notes were composed yesterday using the box.

I also began a 30-day journal to record my experience with VL 5.8 Standard.

####