[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes - 2007/05/01

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 20:43:13 -0400

Lab Notes - 5/1/2007

:: 501c3 Application

Laban and I did another review of the 501c3 application to prepare to assemble supporting documents.

Things left to do are:
- fill in income/expense reports for 2003-2007;
- project income/expense for 2008-2010;
- add a narrative description of mission and programs;
- prune the board of directors to only active directors; and,
- hold a board of directors meeting to approve the application.

:: FreeBox Production Issues

Goose, Mike and I agree that Vector Linux is good enough as it stands to create an image and test pre-production installs.

We briefly discussed PXE (network) installs. Until Goose is finished with the new server at the warehouse and experiments with PXE, network installs are not possible. Once the technology is in place, it might not be practical. In the meantime we'll proceed with creating a compressed image on a CD and install from there.

Regarding Puppy Linux, Mike thinks there is no particular advantage to installing Puppy over the network so we won't.

:: Warehouse Server

Goose is going to install and configure Vector Linux 5.8 and LTSP on the warehouse server he is putting together. This way we can wring out VL/LTSP a bit before we try it on the lab server.

There are other advantages. Volunteers will learn our way around VL by using it on Thursdays. If we need to demo VL at the warehouse, it is already running at the nearest LTSP workstation -- we won't need to haul out a FreeBox for a demo.

Mike thinks VL Soho might have more libraries and apps useful on a server. Goose suggested we clone the hard drive in the development VL/LTSP box at the lab to the warehouse server. Since all dependencies appear to have been met on the VL 5.8 Standard dev box, there is probably no need for Soho.

:: CRT Glass Recycling

John recently drove to Dlubak Glass Recycling in Ohio and talked to one of their reps. Dlubak charges $0.10/pound to accept raw CRTs.

To get a feel for the potential in dealing directly with Dlubak, we began to estimate CRT recycling revenue and expense. Our estimate is a very rough benchmark.

REVENUE. A standard trailer can hold approximately 50 skid/gaylords. Each gaylord can hold 15 whole monitors. So we can ship about 750 intact monitors in one load. If we charge $15 per CRT, our gross revenue for a single shipment is $11,250.00.

EXPENSE. The Dlubak charges and the transportation costs (if we operate our own trailer) for 750 CRTs come to about $4000.00 per shipment.

PROFIT/LOSS. Our estimate indicates substantial profit is available, $7250.00 per shipment.

ASSUMPTIONS. The estimate is based on a number of assumptions. First, we continue to receive $15 or more for each donated monitor. Second, we can store up to 750 monitors until there are enough for a shipment, and that storage is free. Third, we have enough cash in reserve to pay for the first shipment which includes purchasing, leasing or renting a trailer. At this point, we indeed have the cash. Last, a truck load of monitors or CRTs are not considered hazardous materials. If CRTs are hazardous material, transport costs increase dramatically.

Goose is going to check on short term trailer rental or leasing.

We also need to refine our estimate to account for bare CRTs. If we deman the monitors and ship bare CRTs, we can increase our shipping density/weight. Since Dlubak requires bare CRTs, we have no choice but to deman. The upside is bare CRTs require less storage space as long as we quickly recycle the metal, circuit boards and plastic. Dale has determined that revenue is available by recycling the metal and circuit boards in monitors.

Crushing or grinding glass and plastic is advisable since it reduces storage space and increases shipping density. Mike found a CRT glass grinding mill manufactured in New York. No price was advertised.

:: Logging Volunteer Time

Goose reminded us to log our time at lab so we did. Although there is no immediate satisfaction in logging time, there is payoff long term. Mike suggested that Goose add a "time clock" routine so each of us can login when we come to a lab or warehouse session, then logout when we leave. Work done for FGM at home or office can be logged the traditional way or using a web time-clock.

####