[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 1/25/05

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:04:37 -0500

Lab Notes, 1/25/05

:: Warehousing Decision

John, Mike, Ed, Terry, Al, Karen and I weighed the merits and demerits of each warehousing offer and made a consensus decision. We favor the offer made by River Bend Hose Specialty (RBHS). However we have one potentially deal-breaking concern: How likely will RBHS withdraw their offer over security issues. I will discuss our concern with RBHS' president this week. If the RBHS offer falls apart, then we will accept the General Sheet Metal Works offer at South Bend Warehousing & Distributing.

No matter which warehouse offer is accepted, we'll begin laying down pallets and gaylords in the next few weeks.

:: Kid's IBM PC

The Sally has an IBM PC disguised as a PlaySkool-like workstation with a special keyboard and mouse. Somebody ripped the mouse off its wire, and the keyboard doesn't work. Capt. Iola asked us to fix it. Terry couldn't get the kids' keyboard to work. So he installed a new mouse and a regular keyboard from our stock.

:: Al's Sound Problem

One of Al's PCs is full of good stuff, but the sound system won't work. I told Al last week to bring the box in for a gentle massage by our experts. Rick, Al and I worked on it. We determined that the on-board sound subsystem is broken. Rick installed a PCI sound card from our stock. It's all good now.

Well, sort of. On reboot the XP OS returned to the previous sound card. We chose the newly installed PCI card a second time and rebooted. It seems to have stuck.

:: Testing Boxes

The rest of the evening we tested boxes and upgraded a few (added RAM and hard drives) to minimum FreeBox standards. Our goal is to test all the boxes in inventory and determine which are scrap, FreeBoxes and higher-end upgrade machines. We don't want to wrestle with hardware issues when we are under pressure to build 8 FreeBoxes for a weekend class.

:: Karen Trains on Testing

John Mansfield instructed Karen in component identification and POST and boot testing. Karen started cleaning FreeBoxes and has moved up. She has some Blaster instruction, i.e., installing Vector Linux on hard drives.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>