[frgeek-michiana] Re: Lab Notes, 1/11/05

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:41:01 -0500

I got to thinking about this...

IF email was coming in on the DDNS ip address (not K&B's dns) as it would be through a ddns provider, as long as comcast doesn't block inbound messages, I can get them back out through comcast. Heck, the server messages are doing it, why can't regular email...

What's the amount of mail we are moving though, that's a big question....

Goose

Richard Zimmerman wrote:
<Tom Wrote>
:: FGM Web Site

I'll make a special effort this week to set up Dynamic DNS (DDNS) for our
domain name. Then we can place our web site and email servers on Phoenix at
Goose's house. The deadline to move the web/email is mid-January. So there
are only a few days left. Once I find out how to punch the necessary holes
in the Sally's firewall, we can migrate the web site and email service to
the Sally. Goose and I have one of the Turbines waiting to do the web site
and email chores. The Turbine needs more work but can basically operate
now. And we are close to finished with converting the web site to Rivet
code. All that remains are the FB graduate files.
</TOM>

Email will not work from the Phoenix server due to comcast.net restrictions. Thus why we were trying to get a server going at the Sally. Push comes to solve I can call them to see if we can be allowed to put a temporary shoe horn into place.

I've already got a director page in place and the fgm website rolled out so if anyone goes there, they will see the director to direct them to the main fgm page.

Anytime you want to switch the dns is fine by me.

On another note, Smoothwall's IDS is reporting lot's of MS-IIS, MS-SQL and MS-FRONTPAGE hack attempts going against the server. So far, no dice for the bad guys... I guess they are too stupid to scan for the system type first :)

There have also been numerous port scans and other malicious activities. I talked to my friend who works with the high speed data @ comcast and I can't can't report anything except to say the fed's are involved (comcast wise, not us) and they are working diligently to solve the problem. I can say I am seeing a decrease in scanning traffic as of late.

Goose

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>