[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes - 10/3/2006

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:51:05 -0500

:: Lab Clean Up Ongoing

Goose, Mike and I vacuumed the carpet, most of it anyway. And made tidy the server admin area. We took quite a bit of paper (manuals and magazines) out of the lab to recycle. Next week we will move most of the remaining donated materials to the warehouse.

:: Lab Tables -- Reuse or Buy New?

The consensus is we can't modify or improve the folding tables in the lab for less than we can buy new. The new tables must have adequate cross bracing their entire length. The white tables will go to the warehouse for storage or use.

The lab needs several 3-4 ft. tables to place against the wall with the shelves. Although that wall doesn't have electric service, there is no reason to postpone getting the short tables.

:: ****tel Donates More Stuff

The ISP nearby donated 17" monitors, a bunch of telephone desk stations, matching rack mount switches and 2 mid-tower servers without hard drives.

Left for pick up this Thursday night or next week are three printers, all color lasers. Forrest is going to scare up a hand truck suitable for moving heavy objects on stairs. The largest printer is about 5 feet tall. According to the donor, the printers are functioning well -- they are simply too expensive to maintain to keep in service. The color carts are $200 minimum.

:: Recycling Shipment Preparation

Forrest, Goose and I identified 5 gaylords of material to sell to our potential vendor. Forrest obtained permission to weigh the skids at the warehouse. The vendor doesn't care whether power supplies are demanned so we won't bother to disassemble them.

Goose can produce large labels with standard shipping information for the common carrier if we give him a day or two lead time. The labels stick to the gaylords.

The biggest obstacle, at the moment, is ensuring someone is available to fork lift the skids on to the trailer when the carrier arrives. Also, we don't know yet how the truck will be packed or needs to be packed. The carrier may need a dock and a fork lift light enough to operate inside the trailer. Forrest is going to talk to the vendor about the details of pick up so we can try shipping next week or the following week.

:: Annual Board Meeting, Oct. 28

This is a reminder to clear your schedules for our annual board meeting on Saturday, Oct. 28, from 2:00-5:00 PM. I'll take an agenda at the meeting, but it would be good for people to submit their proposals briefly on the list and in advance of the meeting.

We'll meet in the fellowship hall at the Sally. If the hall is in use, we'll meet in the lab. After the meeting, we'll go to Barnaby's on Jefferson Blvd. for food and drink.

####

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>