[frgeek-michiana] LAPTIOPS...

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:47:44 -0500

Ok, with the demise of the Toshiba laptop (Bummer) I got the ok at the board meeting to take the two Gateways and see what I could do with them....

Actually, I could do a lot!

Gateway Solo 9150:
Problems:
Bad screen - Red or Yellow line through the vertical of screen (not a deal breaker if your willing to live with it - maybe 5 pixels wide)
Hard drive dead

Resolution:
Took the the good screen / hard drive from the 9100 and got one complete laptop working

   Final result:
      128mb Ram
      6g Hard Drive
      DVD-ROM / LS120 Floppy (1.44mb Floppy mode works!)
      ATI video chipset
      keyboard / touch pad fine
      BIOS version: 12.02

* Battery seems to hold a decent charge. I had fully charged it and ran for over an hour WITH the CD-ROM / HD in almost constant use. I have installed an older Debian "Woody" Distro on it just to see how well it would work. Everything went fine. Battery was about 61% when I tried to use the floppy disk drive, then the battery went from 61% to ZERO like that.

* The one remaining problem with the 9150 is the power jack. Apparently from my research Gateway had problems with this. The fix from Ebay is like $10 buck including shipping. It's not a pain right now but we need to be aware of it.

* I still need to get networking going on it. It has a PCMCIA 10 mbit adapter but I've never done PCMCIA networking before, so I have a learning curve there.
Gateway Solo 9100:
Problems:
Bad keyboard
No CD-Rom / Floppy tray
Battery won't hold a charge

   Resolution:
      97mb Ram
      4.3g Hard Drive (Memory / HD from Toshiba)
      Bad screen
      Bad keyboard
      No Floppy / CD-ROM (known issue)
      BIOS version: 8.46

The keyboard / CD-ROM / Floppy for the 9100 can be had off Ebay for around $55 to be safe. No screens were available. Like I said, if you can live with the Red line through the vertical of the screen, the screen works fine. Unknown if the touch pad for the mouse works or not.

* For what ever reason, the 9100 WILL NOT recognize a CD-ROM in the BIOS / BOOT screen! Once Linux loads, Linux sees it just fine. I don't have an answer as to why. I'm thinking a BIOS bug. The workaround was to use the 9150 to do the base install on the HD, then move the HD / CD-ROM/Floppy to the 9100 and let it finish the install. That worked just fine. As long as you don't need to boot from a CD-ROM, your just fine.... Then again, might might pick-up a straight CD-ROM just fine. Don't know.

***Summary***

I hate it when Tom is right! <Joking> We ended up with one good working laptop - the 9150. The other one (9100) is repairable with a new keyboard and a CD-ROM / Floppy cartridge is purchased for it. This is assuming we live with the Red line through the screen. We DO HAVE a spare DVD-ROM upgrade for 9100 that DOES work! There is a third DVD drive but I haven't tested it to see if it works or not as yet. I had also found another 2.5 in HD that turned out to be only an 810mb drive so I didn't bother with it...

  See ya Tuesday, at least that's the plan...

  Goose

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
Safety Assistant / IT Guru

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>