[frgeek-michiana] Knoppix hd install

  • From: Gnu Improved Media <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:08:35 -0500

Did OJ send us a virus? ;)

 Last night when I got home, I copied the Knoppix3.1 ISO image to my hard drive
and burnt it as a bootable cd, and I finally got a working knoppix disc.

I had just read this article:
http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/1104.barr.html

I took the Toshiba 200MHz and have Debian running on it now.

Once you boot knoppix up, by default it goes into KDE, open a term window, and
type: sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

It installs a pre-compiled debian system to your hard drive, complete with Open
Office 1.0.1 and everything.  It detects your video cards, and also picked up
my nics and sound card.

It doesn't give you the option to pick what aplications you use, which is what
really cuts down on the time, it just gives you the default knoppix box.

Might be what we are looking for.

John

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>