[frgeek-michiana] Re: Kiosk computers and WebKit

  • From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:57:19 -0500

Mike, I thought you especially might find this interesting.

One of the main ports of WebKit is the GTK+
(http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingGtk) version. On their Hacker's guide to
WebKit/GTK+ (http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/HackingGtk) page, it mentions that it
has been tested with both X11 and DirectFB(!!) windowing systems. I think this
means we can have a web browser that doesn't require a running x server, which
would be perfect for a kiosk.

I found this page
(http://nanl.de/blog/2009/10/gtk2-running-on-top-of-directfb-on-openwrt/) where
someone was testing GTK apps, though not WebKit, running on ARM and MIPS
processors with limited amounts of RAM using DirectFB rendering and comparing
it to Xorg rendering on the same hardware. The results look promising :)

From: tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Tuesday
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:02:34 -0500

I'm sure there are still plenty of P2 boxes in people's basements that haven't
been donated yet :) I know I still have at least one laying around. I think I
have an AMD k6-2 with a dead power supply, but othewise working system, too.
They will probably eventually be donated to FGM once I have time to salvage
what's on the hard drives.

As far as firefox alternatives, are there other gecko based browsers that use
less resources? What about webkit instead? It seems to be taking over gecko in
a lot of circles for opensource standards-based browser engines. It's used in
Apple's Safari and iPhone browsers. Google Chrome uses it as well. So do
Symbian OS phones and the Palm Pre. Andriod's browser is based on Webkit. Apple
originally developed it as a fork of the engine KDE developed for Konqueror,
and many developers now work on both projects. Considering it has been choses
for basically every new smartphone being released except Windows Mobile based
phones, it is probably a good candidate for a well-made lightweight browser.

Tony

P.S. As I finished writing this I also discovered that the Gnome Epiphany
browser (decendant of Galeon) has transitioned from gecko to webkit.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390710/direct/01/