[frgeek-michiana] Re: Hello

  • From: ke4rit@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:59:22 +0000

> Hi, I've just added myself to your list.
> I'm Richard, the Production Coordinator at FREE GEEK in Portland.
> That means, I'm the guy in charge of planning the computer building
> program, and also the guy responsible for coordinating our software
> development.

   Welcome aboard Richard, I'm Goose (aka Richard) <G>. I'm sure we'll have
pleanty of questions for you as we go forward.

   Tom "Wage Slave" is the offical "Pubar" (read leader) of our group. Mike
"Hitman" and John "Gunibie" round out the group at present.

   Were currently working with a bunch of old P90 & P133's w/ 32mb of ram and
were looking heavily into Vector Linux 3.0 which is based on Slackware. This
combo seems to make a pretty quick system even for the old hardware. VL is
designed for low resource systems.

   We would definately appreciate a list of software you guys include on your
systems. Were still in the process of deciding what we want to include. Unless
I'm mistaken, were working towards giving people the ability to do basic things:

   Word processing, Spreadsheet, Checkbook balancing, printing, inet access
(Opera), etc.

   Our target group are folks that can not afford a computer and/or have no
previous computer knowlege.

   I'm sure Tom can expand on what I have said or correct something I'm wrong
on. I'm turning the wrenches in the background like you! :-)

   Take care, welcome aboard and we look forward to talking with you!

   Richard aka Goose

at <//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>