[frgeek-michiana] Re: Gooselab + Warehouse server

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:15:17 -0400

Not really, the biggest problem is the vast majority of the laptops that are donated have been cannibalized before we even get them. (ref the IBM's). The others all require a lot of work to get networking, etc going. Laptops are fickle critters. They also suffer from a lack of memory (32mb) and slow (sub 400mhz) so they are not good candidates for VL. Hey, your welcome to tackle one of you wish. There is one set back for warehouse use that needs to be setup. It's sitting under the SCSI shelf in the server room.

Now if we were to get a donation of laptops that needs VL specs and were new enough to be half way 'normal' for laptops, then it's a another ball game all together.

Richard

Kevin Yendes wrote:
Tom: Not to change the subject but on these computers that will be going to Perley School, for the training could we use some the laptop computers that we have at the warehouse? They would be much easier to bring in and they will basically do the same thing as the free boxes. I am sure that they can figure out how to turn on the computers that they will be getting. Just a thought. Kevin