[frgeek-michiana] Gooselab Report

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 22:48:49 -0400

I blew off the warehouse tonight for a good reason. I got the new warehouse server configured and running!

Last week at the warehouse I did the hardware setup / configuration.
Over the weekend I installed Vector Linux 5.8 Standard on the server.
Tonight I installed:
   dhcpd server
   ltsp-utils package
the Perl modules (btw 'perl -CPAN -e shell' for an interactive cpan session is really cool)
   ltsp software

and got it all working...

About 10pm I got the wonderful login screen on the thin client I hauled home from the classroom. BTW, the thin client definitely has got a flaky nic in it. I think I got a spare, I'll look into it later.

The mission next week will be to transfer the data off the old server and get the new server installed and running. Since 24 is done for the season I'll probably start the swap out on Monday in case anyone wants to stop by. <grin - hint!>

  Anyhow, I'm off to bed...

  Richard