[frgeek-michiana] Gateway Solo 9150

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:16:47 -0500

Ok, today is proving to be VERY productive...

1. 2.6 Kernel - Installed, *NO* problems....

2. It's supporting PCMCIA much better, no more script init / network
problems.

3. Removed KDE... Ok, may have been premature - time will tell

4. Remove Apache2 - Done
4A. Install Rivet - Apache: Done

5. USB Support, if you can use 'usbmgr' in your distribution, do it...
It's slick, elegant and works! When I installed it, it uninstalled
hotplug, udev, etc from Debian and had me concerned (read nervous). When
it loaded usbmgr, it runs as a daemon and you only need to edit
/etc/usbmgr/usbmgr.conf to add your specific device! lsusb will tell you
what usb devices you have on the usb sub-system. I had it reading my
Startitec 14-1 usb card reader in about 30 minutes and that is WITH the
learning curve on NEVER using usb on Linux before! The 2.6 kernel is
definitely the way to go if you need hotplug support.

6. I'm presently coping over the tcl scripts I've done so far for my
work and my collection of examples I've come up with. I should be able
to start coding stuff here by the first of the week!

7. The AT&T 6700D Wi-Fi card didn't pan out... Turns out it wasn't
offered for sale but a recommendation. CompUSA has only as an in-store
sale and is not even listed on their online / phone sales for sale.
(read discontinued item). I'm not driving 140 miles to get one. I did
find a belkin F5D7011 Wi-Fi card at Wal-Mart for $35 so I'll go that route.

News Dept: I need to investigate this but apparently there is a 'Wi-Fi'
library card you can purchase that is good for all public libraries in
St. Joseph / Elkhart counties for $30 a year! This is good being I have
no home internet connectivity. I'll post more once I learn more about it.

Goose

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
Safety Assistant / IT Guru

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>