[frgeek-michiana] Fwd: Re: DNS change over to DynDNS.org

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:10:48 -0500

fwiw, I set up the MX and relay to port 2525. Also added new hosts: phoenix.freegeekmichiana.org and mail.freegeekmichiana.org.

Tom

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:50:19 -0500
To: Zimmerman_Richard
From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd: Re: DNS change over to DynDNS.org
Cc: FreeGeekMichiana

Jeez, the change went into effect almost instantly! I surfed our web site, and it hit Phoenix, POW! I thought it would take an hour or two just to resolve internally at DynDNS.

But Houston, we have a problem. Phoenix is apparently not set up for virtual hosting, and it is hosting two web sites. The IP address returns the Free Geek Michiana / Richard Zimmerman combined home page instead of the FGM page by itself. I need to adjust the /etc/apache/httpd.conf file to do name-based virtual hosting so that the incoming header on the browser request will trigger the right web site. Another solution is to put the two web sites on separate apache server instances or on separate ports.

If I have time tomorrow, I will ssh into Phoenix and try to correct the problem.

Tom

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:36:27 -0500
To: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DNS change over to DynDNS.org
Cc: Schlatter_Jay

I made the change. The type is set to "static" since the IP changes less than once per month. Even on static we'll need to update the IP once every 30-35 days. It's 11:36 PM now. The change should ripple through DynDNS in a few hours, then on to the rest of the DNS hierarchy.

Tom

At 08:22 AM 1/27/05 -0500, you wrote:
You can go ahead and use this address. It hasn't changed in two months! We'll ignore the comment over the weekend from the guy at Comcast told me that it changes weekly... <snickering>

67.174.141.151

Let'er rip!

Goose

Tom Brown wrote:
Goose,
Tomorrow night (Thu.) call me with your current IP. I'll make the change at DynDNS.org. It will propagate overnight. Friday morning Jay can drop the dns at GW.
Once dns is working to our satisfaction, I'll add the Mail-Hop Relay service to point to port 2525 on Phoenix. The Relay service has optional spam and anti-virus filtering. Let me know whether you want to do the filtering at DynDNS or locally.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>