[frgeek-michiana] Re: Free Geek Michiana, Inc.

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:16:55 -0500

Setup an SME server the other day, talk about easy server setup, its
based on RH7.3, good for internal lan situations, it has a web interface
that non-techs can learn to use.

I installed an E-Smith server, the open source version of SME based on Perl scripts and RH7.x, at a client's office last year. The E-Smith box is doing the LAN print, file and Internet service. They have never turned it off! And they have not changed a single setting! Now that's uptime, reliability and use-ability.

On the down side if you need a setting that isn't offered, you can directly alter the /etc configs in RH. However, if you reboot, the SME default configs overwrite your mods. The only way to avoid overwrites is to hack the SME scripts.

Well thought I would let you know what I was up to, hope to contribute
some of this experience to FGM in the future.

Good to hear from you again. And good to know your experience is applicable to FGM.

Tom