[frgeek-michiana] Re: FONTS...

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 00:09:38 -0500

At 04:25 PM 5/6/04 -0500, you wrote:

Well,
I figured it must be a video card problem. Installed VL 4 Soho RC1 on a PIII-500 with a nvidia 16mb AGP card. Running at 1200x1600 everything looks fine. I think it is hardware related on the neomagic video on the laptop.

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Is there a list somewhere that tells you what the different options are for the video card in the X config file?

1. This is a long shot, but it may be worth the effort. EmperorLinux.com has provided pre-installed Linux laptops since 1999. Perhaps someone at the company would give you information about setting up fonts on Neomagic chipsets. They must have some expertise. I know that various IBM Thinkpads used Neomagic chipsets.

http://www.emperorlinux.com/
1-888-651-6686

2. More web sites

Neomagic X setup for IBM 570
http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/laptop_daten_ibm_thinkpad_570.html

For IBM i1721
http://home.earthlink.net/~dstwins/1721.html

Thinkpad 240 XF86 config file
http://www.tummy.com/articles/laptops/thinkpad240/XF86Config.html

SuSE 5.3 on Gateway Solo
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/1998-Nov/0414.html

3. You might want to try a regular Slackware, Debian, Mandrake or Fedora install. How does Knoppix or Damn Small Linux handle the laptop? Can you get a decent XF86 config from one of them? Or, use one of them instead of VL?