[frgeek-michiana] EPA releases new e-waste reports

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 17:44:31 -0400

From Matt Hale with the US EPA.....

Dear Colleagues:

As you know, EPA has been working for a while now on an updated analysis
of management of select electronics wastes in the US – notably TVs,
personal computers and cell phones.

We have now posted on our web site (www.epa.gov/ecycling/manage.htm) the
Following items:

Two detailed reports (draft final) which analyze annual sales and
weights of selected electronic products; the amounts and types of
electronic products that are stored and/or reused in a given
timeframe; and the amounts and types of electronic waste that are
recycled or disposed in a given year. These reports offer distinct
but complementary views of the same issues. Each report uses
unique sets of input data and a different life span methodology to
provide corroborating models and information on the fate of the
products in question.

Also included is an Overview which summarizes the findings of the two
draft final reports, providing range estimates for the key
outcomes measured. Looking at both reports together, it is
evident that the results are quite similar, lending credibility to
the overall range of results and enabling readers to see the data
from slightly different angles.

Finally, copies of the spreadsheet models associated with the two
analyses are also attached. These models are provided so that
stakeholders can better understand how we constructed the analyses
and reached the conclusions we did. Stakeholders also can use the
models to make their own estimates according to their own needs
and assumptions.

Stakeholder Input to Date:

Last May we sought comment from stakeholders on several methodological
and data issues related to this effort. At that time, we sent out a
draft report entitled “Electronics Waste Management in the United
States: Request for Comment on Several Methodological Issues.”

We received several comments, including a suggestion that we better
distinguish between the life span of commercial and household
electronics, which we have attempted to do. While we specifically asked
stakeholders to express a preference for one of two lifespan
methodologies we proposed, there was little stakeholder input on this
issue. After taking into account stakeholder input, we decided to
present results using both methodologies. Doing so demonstrates that
the results do not vary substantially and also offers additional
insights that using a single methodology alone would not.

Additional Input is Welcome

Because this is the first time we are making available detailed
estimates of, among other things, storage, recycling and disposal, we
are interested in knowing whether these estimates track with the
experience and expectations of the stakeholders. We are also interested
in whether the models, assumptions and data inputs yield information
useful for their needs. Please let us know if you have any concerns or
input by contacting Christina Kager (_kager.christina@xxxxxxxx) or Clare
Lindsay (_lindsay.clare@xxxxxxx)_.

Web Address for Draft Final Reports

The reports discussed above have been posted on our e-cycling web site.
They can be found at www.epa.gov/ecycling/manage.htm.

####