[frgeek-michiana] 30 days with vl 5.8 - part 2

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:22:52 -0400

30 DAYS WITH VL 5.8 STANDARD: PART 2

Day 5:

I used ssh to do some web site maintenance which went as expected. I copied /etc/hosts, my network hosts list, from my file/print server to this VL box using scp. Then I copied this journal to my file/print server with scp. Worked as advertised.

Day 8:

Last week the family system got a DVD/CDROM burner at my daughter's insistence. So I pulled the CDROM reader in Victor, the Vector Linux box, and replaced it with the DVD/CDROM reader from the family computer. Next, I popped in "Music and Lyrics", a light romantic comedy DVD which showed up in our house mysteriously. I tabbed back and forth between Abiword and Xine. The system behaved admirably, but for one small thing -- the audio is slightly behind the video. Good enough, though, for a FreeBox.

Day 9:

I finished the movie today and discovered why the audio was slightly out of sync with the video. There were two applications running...duh. Without Abiword loaded, the audio and video sync'd perfectly. And, they stayed that way in full screen mode. No pixelation either. Terrific!

Btw, Music and Lyrics is a very good light romantic comedy.

Day 13:

Floppy Doesn't Work
Funny thing. I tried to format a floppy disk, but VL 5.8 doesn't recognize the device. The BIOS sees it and so does the kernel, at least during boot up. This should caution us to do thorough FreeBox testing using our quality assurance checklist from VL 3.2.

Gftp
Gftp is a very useful program. I need to ssh into a remote host which does not run any kind of ftp server. Gftp provides a graphical point-and-shoot front end to ssh2 which is represented as a gui ftp client. Very nice. VL 5.8 also includes a cli gftp interface. I use the gftp gui to transfer this document to my LAN file server, and it is quicker than opening a terminal window and typing in the commands and parameters.

LinNeighborhood
Samba Neighborhood didn't work, or, I don't yet know how to make it work. So I used gslapt to install LinNeighborhood. I can scan any host on the local network and mount remote directories in my home directory tree. LinNeighborhood appears, by default, not to retain the mount points from session to session: You must re-mount the directories at each new session. Perhaps there is a way to preserve mount points.

Gslapt
Speaking of gslapt, I updated VL 5.8 easily with gslapt. There were over 5 MB of upgrades, patches, new base applications and dependencies. Not a single hitch occurred. Not one.

####