[Fundraisers Forum] Thoughts on Parshat Teruma from a Fund-Raiser

  • From: Ron Allswang <ron.allswang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:52:41 +0200

From our colleague and friend, Don Kates.

*Thoughts on Parshat Teruma*

In the second pasuk of this week's parsha, it says "Take for
me a portion."

Rashi comments that the term for Me indicates that people should
contribute to the Tabernacle purely for the sake of G-d's name, not because
of social pressures or in quest of honor.

The question that many commentators ask is why does the verse say "take"
instead of "give."

Sforno comments that this command was directed to the leaders, who were
directed to "take', i.e. not to levy a tax, but to request voluntary
contributions.
However, as we learn, the people did not wait to be asked; they flooded the
treasuries with their generous contributions. (I wish!)

When going on a trip to raise money, I sometimes get asked if I'm going to
"collect" money.  It never fails to bring a smile to my face. As we know,
it just
doesn't work that way.

So what does the pasuk mean by "taking a donation?"  Many comment
that by contributing to G-d's causes, a Jew truly "takes" for himself, for
personal benefit of generosity is far greater than its cost.

I think the real answer lies in the same pasuk.  We take "from every man
whose heart motivates him".  To raise money for our worthy causes, we
have to find what motivates people's hearts.

I'm not saying that people today will not wait to be asked.
But just like with Bnei Yisrael in this week's parsha, we have to convince
donors that they are part of the family, and that not only will our
important causes benefit, but they themselves will.

Don Kates

Director of Development

Yeshivat Hakotel

don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx