[freeroleplay] Re: Speaking of a Cyberpunk Setting...

  • From: Jerry Stratton <jerry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:16:55 -0700

At 3:15 PM +0100 on 8/15/03, Samuel Penn wrote:
>> However, now that I think about it, I've always liked Ray Bradbury's
>> "negative utopia" stuff. That's not really "cyber", or "punk", though.
>I tend to prefer more far-future cyberpunk. Things like Transhuman
>Space (a GURPS campaign, which I've mentioned before) or the books
>of Alastair Reynolds (Revelation Space, Chasm City, Redemption Ark).

My absolute favorite "cyberpunk" story is Stanislaw Lem's "The Futurological
Congress". Written in the early seventies (1971) it used drugs instead of
wires, but deftly predicts and satirizes a world which is increasingly
"virtual" and unreal. No matter what your problem, there's a pill, spray, gas,
or food additive to fix it.

I highly recommend it.

Jerry
--