[freeroleplay] New Mechanic Take 2

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:56:56 +0000

Hi All,

Here are some alternatives to the mechanic I proposed for FRINGE:

Basic
--

Ability determines whether you succeed, Skill determines degree of
success/failure:

1. All abilities and skill traits are 0-5. Select appropriate Ability
and Skill for an action. Difficulty of task is set by GM between 1-10.

2. Roll a 1d5 (1d6 where 6 = 0) and add your Ability trait score. If the
result is the difficulty or more you succeed, otherwise you fail.

3. To determine degree of success roll another 1d5 and add the Skill
trait score. This gives you a degree of success between 0-10.

4. To determine degree of failure roll 2d5 and subtract your Skill from
the result.

The main problem I've discovered with the above is that the degree of
success is 1d5 + Skill... which means you are guaranteed a basic degree
of success based upon your Skill. This seems counter to the concept of
degree of success. This makes the above a fundamentally flawed system,
IMHO.

I think the above would be good for skill-based system, were characters
only have 'skill'-like traits and roll skill + 1d5 versus difficulty.

Average
--

As Basic except you add Ability and Skill together and fold (divide by
two, rounding up) to determine the bonus for both rolls.

Determine Risk
--

As Basic except the player adds Ability and Skill together and then
distributes the total to a bonus for both rolls, each roll having no

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community