[freeroleplay] Re: Generics

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:32:43 +0100

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 10:18, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I have uploaded the two most complete pieces of it. The fantasy
> implementation's classes are inconsistent and unfinished, as is the list
> of talents, but it gives an idea of how the base rules are meant to be
> implemented.
>
> http://www.leftist.net/perrin/Generics_Base.pdf
> http://www.leftist.net/perrin/Generics_Fantasy.pdf
>
> I would very much like comments on it. Don't be afraid to speak your
> mind :)

Quick question:

I'm not quite sure I understand how experience works. Does training
require you to 'spend' XP gained in an adventure, or does training
give you XP?

The first two paragraphs in the 'Experience' section suggest you
can gain XP either by adventuring, or by being taught. However,
the third paragraph, where it talks about self-tutoring, says it
costs 'three times as much XP per level', which suggests that
you 'spend' XP when training, rather than earning it.

Either can work. If I ever run d20 again, I think I'd rule that
characters must spend time training before going up a level.
Helps prevent the 'go from 1st to 20th level before your 17th
birthday' problem.

What is the range of levels? At a cost of 1000 + 100/level XP for
each level, the cost doesn't go up that quickly, so progression
could be quite flat.

--
Be seeing you,                          http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/
Sam.                                    jabber: samuel.penn@xxxxxxxxxx