[freeroleplay] Re: [FRINGE] Unique Traits

  • From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:50:23 -0000 (GMT)

Ricardo Gladwell said:
> Access Modifiers: or meta-modifiers, impart access to other traits, or
> restrict access to certain traits. For example, a Magic Ability unique
> trait would give access to other magic traits, but not necesarily impart
> any additional benefit. Access modifiers can be used to make other
> traits more expensive to buy.

I've used this idea before, and it works reasonably well. I've
also done things like: Spend X points on Magic Ability, gives
you X points to spend on magic advantages, plus you have X
rating in 'magic aura', which has secondary effects such as
reaction penalties, or magic resistence.

> Roll Modifiers: increase or decrease the probability that certain
> actions will be successful. Generally, a beneficial roll modifier will
> give the player the ability to re-roll certain rolls in certain
> cicurmstances, usually in exchange for a temporary point of a secondary
> trait or an experience point.

I've generally found that spending xp like this doesn't work.
I'm not saying it can't be made to work, but I've never seen it
work. Maybe it should come off some fatigue-like trait.

Re-rolls are good though, since they don't overpower anything
whilst still being useful. Another option would be to make the
roll an automatic maximum (or both, automatic maximum if
declared before the roll, reroll if declared after the roll).

> I haven't decided how negative roll
> modifiers will work, yet: perhaps doubling the difficulty costing the
> player a point of some temporary secondary trait to negate?

Increasing the chance of automatic failure? Making a failure
automatically a fumble? Increasing the cost of purchasing that
trait?

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.