[freeroleplay] Re: Character Generation

  • From: Edward Terry <eterry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:03:19 -0400

Pitt Murmann wrote:

On 06. Sep 2005, at 21:28, Edward Terry wrote:

[Everything is a skill.]

There would only be a few things which could not be acquired through play. In most systems, the ability to use spells (or psionics or superpowers) is probably one of these.

Do supernatural abilities necessarily have to be innate? What keeps a character from Awaken such powers, either during the game session or beyond?

That's certainly possible. It's even possible that a character without any special abilities might be able to learn supernatural or psionic abilities, or superpowers. I would say it depends on the campaign setting (i.e. the universe) rather than the rules system.

Personally, I consider any system that varies from universe to universe to be part of the campaign setting rather than part of the rules system. Thus, my generic rules system does not have any rules for magic, psionics, superpowers, or futuristic technology, and in fact does not have any standard creatures or races. Instead, I plan to develop several "plugins" for different types of campaign settings. I might end up with three "standard" magic systems, two "standard" futuristic-technology systems, and so forth. Individual universes might have variations on these standard systems, or there might be large numbers of universes which use the same standard system without any variations (because they have the same laws of physics).

This approach also makes it easier to adapt existing campaign settings to my rules system, because I won't change the magic system very much -- just enough to allow it to work within my rules system while preserving the flavor and intent.

At least that's my theory.  I haven't tested it yet.

Edward