[freelists-users] Urgent : Multiple virus warnings and problems with the ISSEN list

  • From: adrian fenton <adrianfenton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:01:58 +0100

We have recently experienced major problems with the ISSEN email discussion
group, relating to potential viruses. The following message from
alert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has been sent a numerous number of times
to the list (around 90 times on Wednesday) "Warning - You have tried to send
a potential virus or unauthorised code :

The Star Internet anti-virus service, powered by MessageLabs, discovered a
potential virus or unauthorised code (such as a joke program or trojan) in
an email sent by you.
The email has now been quarantined and was not delivered."

The message continues with further details. There have been other related
messages and people trying to unsubscribe. The reason that I have not acted
sooner to this problem is that our network/server has been completely down
over the last 4 days so I was unaware of the problems and frustration it has
caused.

Problems and questions :
1) Identifying the source of the viruses. These may have come from a Bethany
Gledhill (who has been emailed) or a Panda Snedden though is seems that
other names are identified as the source in other later warning messages.
What can I do about this? Can you help by looking through the warning
messages and identifying the source of the virus? Could the problem have
originated from listserve or is it likely to be one infected user?

2) Preventing these "warning" messages being sent out to those on the list.
This repetition of numerous messages has created much annoyance within the
group and they do not need to see such messages. I have changed the list
settings, switching the "admin actions shown" to "off" and making the list
"moderated". I was looking for an option to temporarily "freeze" the list -
is this possible or have I done sufficient for the time being?

3)  Future life of the list : Do you think this problem will continue if the
list is "reopened" ? Should an alternative be considered such as re starting
the list, copying all the current subscribers ?

I have previously been impressed with your rapid response and assistance
relating to problems raised and I hope you can appreciate the severity of
our situation.

from Adrian Fenton
ASE/NASEN science and special needs project officer.
adrianfenton@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel 01707 283000