[freelists-users] Re: Subscribe registering users automatically

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:30:45 -0500

> The problem: server hosting my site is configured so that the FROM
> subject must be one of existing VBSdb accounts (i.e. info@xxxxxxxxx an
> so on). So my mails are rejected.
>
> Is there any way (with Active Server Pages technology) to allow users to
> be transparently subscribed to the support list?

The short answer: with ASP, I'm guessing not.  I don't know a great deal
about it, but it's somewhat inferior to other web development
technologies.  Have your .asp submit a form to a perl CGI script instead...

The long answer: If there's an SMTP library available for vbscript (or
whatever you're programming in), you could have your ASP talk directly to
your SMTP server, and in this case, you should be able to specify whatever
valid 'from' address you like.

And if you'd like, you can always use the HTML code and CGI script that we
provide for you, available at
//www.freelists.org/lists/subscription.html

John

--