[freelists-users] Re: Size limits

  • From: Mark Brandt <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 21:19:42 -0500

John Madden wrote:

> size.  Header size is typically nominal, and the option is really only
> there to prevent wacky headers from getting through, such as those with
> 1500 Received: headers.

And I use this option for exactly that. I played with it for about a week to
get it right, but now the only thing that passes this check is stuff sent to
the list and the list only. If it has a bunch of additional recipients that you
see on some of these chain e-mails, it is sent for moderation and I block it.
SOme people have a tendency to send this stuff to their whole mailbox, and the
list address is usually part of it. I hate that stuff getting sent to the list.
Generally, all they need to add is just one or two additional addresses, and
it's blocked. It was kind of weird how different ISP's add different header
info. I set it for the largest sent with just one address.  I also use the body
size option to prevent some one from adding 2 words and quoting the whole
digest. Quote limits don't always stop this. SOme e-mail programs don't set the
quoted stuff apart. In this case I usually edit it for them and send it on.

Mark