[freelists-users] Re: MSN.com

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:56:01 -0500

>       Discovered something today about MSN.com  It seems that if the mailbox
> fills up of the first person alphabetically on a particular MSN server,
> it bounces back EVERYONE that is subscribed to your list that resides on
> that server. Doesn't look real fair, but maybe has something to do with
> the way list mail is sent? John, do you have an explanation for this? I
> discovered this today and I solved it by removing the one who's mailbox
> is full. The others then started getting their mail.  Thought you would
> all like to see this and it explains some of the bounces.

That sounds like an issue with their mail server.  In general, users at the
same destination are packaged together into the same smtp envelope to
improve efficiency.  Individual users can be dropped out and that
shouldn't cause a problem for the rest of the envelope (although I don't
know if it causes the envelope to be deferred for later delivery).  If
they're bouncing all MSN users because of one MSN user, they've got a
software problem.

Question is, should we be all that surprised? :)

Has anyone else observed this?

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx